Free holiday concert at St. Mary's in Charlestown
The St. Mary-St. Catherine of Siena Parish, together with Friends of the Charlestown Library, will host a free holiday concert at 3:30 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 17 at St. Mary’s Church, 55 Warren St.
The Copley Singers and Director Brian Jones return this year with another popular and wide ranging program of familiar carols and anthems in both traditional and new arrangements, both sacred and secular. There will be audience participation in hymns and the singers will mingle with the audience at several times.
Copley Singers will summon the people with “O Come All Ye Faithful” and dispatch everyone with Leroy Anderson’s “Sleigh Ride.”
Katelyn Emerson, associate organist and choirmaster at the Church of the Advent, will support the choir as well as soloing in the exciting Toccata from Vierne’s “Pièces de Fantaisie.”
Also included in the program are:
Poston: “Jesus Christ the Apple Tree”
Rutter: “Sing We To This Merry Company”
Frimer: “Al HaNissim” (Sing to God), arr. Jacobson
Whitacre: “Lux Aurumque”
Hymn: “On This Day, Earth Shall Ring” (Personent Hodie)
Howells: “A Spotless Rose”
“Josef Est Bien Marie,” with organ variations. Arr Ferris
Hymn: “God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen,” arr. Forster
Rutter: “All Bells in Paradise”
Taverner: “God Is With Us”
“Silent Night,” arr. Johnson
Hymn: “Hark the Herald Angels Sing,” descant by David Willcocks
The concert is free with a suggestion of donations to Harvest on Vine Food Pantry.
The Copley Singers, a Boston-based choir founded in 2006, is a congenial group of auditioned volunteers and professionals - all dedicated to the art of fine singing and the joy of communicating their love of this art to the public.
Brian Jones is Emeritus Director of Music at Trinity Church in Copley Square. He is an active organ concert artist and a guest conductor with many recordings to his credit.
St. Mary’s Parish was formed in 1828 to serve the burgeoning Irish Population of Charlestown. In 1892, the magnificent 1,200-seat Tudor-Gothic style structure designed by P.C. Keely was dedicated. The distinctive ceiling is of a hammerbeam design; above it, massive timber trusses obviate the need for columns and allow unobstructed views. The large-scale brass light fixtures from the 1890s were originally designed to be used for gas or electricity because electric lighting was considered experimental at that time.
The Woodberry and Harris organ, in place since St. Mary’s consecration in 1892, will support the congregation with its sonorous tones.
Perhaps the most striking features of St. Mary's are the many large stained glass windows. Mayer of Munich, who manufactured the windows, remains in operation today and is run by the fifth generation of the family.
For more information about the church, visit http://stmarystcatherine.org.